Thursday, October 9, 2008

just keep waving


Most exciting thing that happened to me today? Why, taking an ATV up to the Y today instead of going to French so that I could stand up there with 12 other blue and white clad BYU students to wave to a passing helicopter. Are you confused? So, my friend Vanessa called me yesterday and asked what I was doing today from 4 to 7. I replied nothing and so today from 4 to 7 I was on Y mountain, sitting on the white, rocky, butt-numbing, giant Y. Note to self: don't start at the bottom of the Y and climb up to the top, chances are you're going to nearly pass out and want to vomit. I seriously wanted to die up there at the top. There was this really nice guy who was also up there for the same reason (Vanessa's friend Katy works for BYU's University Communications and she does filming and editing for videos that are shown at orientation, the alumni center, and other BYU stuff so she needed some extras to stand on the Y and wave at the camera that was attached to a helicopter that was flying overhead) who was trying to help me stay awake and not pass out. My vision went all black and there was a ringing in my ears so much that all of the sounds were muted, even my own voice. The guy was trying to keep me from passing out so he kept talking to me and Leica was like 'Emily, you're really making me worried, let's just go back down to the bottom of the Y and get some water.' But I seriously could not get up and wanted to lay there forever.

So, by the time I got back down we were almost ready to starting shooting. Turns out the helicopter passed by like seven hundred times and we had to wave at it and smile like loser stereotypical BYU Mormons. Too funny, but pretty trying, especially after you nearly pass out at the top of the Y and then have to climb back down. PHEW. We waved so much, my arm nearly fell off, but we had some exciting times. Then once it was over (it took three hours) and I was freezing my butt off, we had to walk down the mountain to where the cars were.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

that sounds so exciting mej. do you get to watch the video you'll be in? sorry i didn't text properly yesterday. i was distracted and confused. :P i'm glad you're ok. don't go climbing all over anymore. stay as close to the ground as possible please. :) love you.

Jessica said...

I know the hike to the top of the Y is horrible! We went to light it Tuesday night and we stopped at every switch back and my throat was dry and I felt like stopping and crying! But it was all worth it, we felt victorious at the end. I'm glad you go to wave! Love you girl!